U3A Bird Watching 2016
The Bird Watching group currently has 9 members and is led by Peter Horler.
We meet on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at various parks and reserves around Ipswich. We have made 5 trips this year and encountered 77 species. We have visited Colleges Crossing (31species), One Mile Park (31), Harding’s Paddock (22), Bundamba Creek (40) and Kholo Botanic Gardens (36).
The most memorable birds would be-
- the soaring Square-tailed Kite over Bundamba,
- the majestic White-bellied Sea-Eagle flying up the Brisbane River,
- the tiny Little Lorikeet contesting the blossom feast over Bundamba Creek,
- the brilliant Azure Kingfisher fishing on the river bank,
- the garrulous Grey-crowned Babblers of Harding’s Paddock,
- the Little Shrikethrush busy in the rainforest gully of the botanic gardens,
- and not forgetting the handsome Mistletoebird in its red white and black livery
We are always happy to see new faces, so please get in touch. Please visit our Timetable page for this year’s program.